rpm quagmire at hand.

All righty,
here's my little problem.  I recently did a fresh install of
RedHat 4.2 which uses kernel-2.0.30.  Then I thought, "since
there's a newer update at redhat's ftp site,
kernel-2.0.30-3, let's load that baby before I start building
my custom kernels."  Well, following the rpm installs, I
now have 2 kernel-modules rpm's, neither of wich can be removed,
and the running kernel is still the old one, even though
the rpm query reports kernel-2.0.30-3.

How should I procede now??  Is there a rpm command to straighten
out this issue?  I've already built a static kernel (no modules)
which I boot with when installing a new custom kernel, but
even then, rpm reports it cannot remove the current running
kernel.

Reloading 4.2 is an option, but I sure would like to find a
different solution, just to know there is one.  Reloading is
an NT characteristic I'd like to avoid!

- Christoph