RedHat XF86 problems

Thanks to the unusal randomness of the drawings last thursday, I now have a
copy of Red Hat PowerTools.  And I installed it.  Now I know that I should
have picked up the boxed version because there are a lot of little things
which puzzle me and are not well covered by the installation screens.  Maybe
some of you have advice.  I have a copy of 'Linux In A Nutshell' and a copy
of Sams 'Slackware Linux Unleashed' (don't ask) for reference.

Installation was uneventful.  Fdisk works better than Druid.  More control.
 LILO overwrote the OnTrack Disk Manager in the MBR.  I need the disk
manager to access my large D: drive.  Oddly enough, Linux reaches all of the
D: drive without the OnTrack.  I have a hack to reach it when I run under
DOS.

But that's not the real problem.  I am having problems with Xfree windows.
I have a ViewSonic 4e monitor and a generic ET4000 based card with 1 meg
DRAM.  I made the best guesses I could based on the information I had.  The
result is that when I start Xwindows using xinit, I get a 1/4 sized window
in the upper left hand corner of my screen.  When I quit Xwindows using
Ctl/Alt/BS, the character screen is very dim.  I started to reconfigure
using XF86config, but the questions were daunting, so I quit.  If anyone has
any suggestions, contact me offline so as not to bore the rest of the list
with my special problems.

Thanks,

Karl

Karl Hergenrother     imagelab at world.std.com