Media-One Express, IP Masquerading

Leif wrote:
>   Really, now how did your laptop work on your cable modem? Because like
> well it wouldn't work, because Mediaone uses your ethernet cards internal
> ethernet address ...

I've heard of devices which are built like that.  I can't comment on
whether the Media One cable box does that, but I know the one supplied
by CAI (as noted in my earlier posting) doesn't.  If a cable company does
hardwire Ethernet MAC addresses, then they're going down a very expensive
path which won't work in the market down the road.

Combination web/TV devices are going to proliferate, and they'll use
Ethernet interfaces.  It'll be even faster and more widespread than
the past crazes to add second phone lines and second cable jacks, and it
won't be at all limited to 2 or 3 household devices.  Such is my prediction.

Meanwhile, the cable company has a nasty customer-support headache whenever
customers buy new PC's or swap out Ethernet devices.

-rich