56k USR problems

John Abreau wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

>    Well I haven't had to email anyone for a while but I'm
> REALLY stuck now. I just removed my old 1996 non-upgradeable
> 28.8 Sportster from my Linux Red Hat 5.0(b) box and put in a
> brand new USR 56k internal to upgrade it. Com 2 set exactly
> the same on the card, tied to fire it up and nothing, not
> even a squelch or dial tone etc. I suspect that I may need
> to edit the modem thread to adjust to the 56k?..... I'm 8
> months into Linux and can stumble around the ppp.conf file
> if needed. I set this Linux box up with netcfg (the GUI) so
> I'm really stuck. I put the old 28.8 back in to email for
> help. Thanks

1. If it is a "winmodem," it will not work under Linux.  Return it.

2. If it not a "winmodem," check the jumpers.  USR internals ship with no
jumpers installed by default, which configures the modem for Plug-and-Play.
While you can use the Linux "isapnp" tools, a better approach is to install
some jumpers and disable Plug-and-Play.

3. The "AT" command sets between a 28.8 kbps and 56 kbps USR internals will be
almost identical, and should require no changes except in unusual cases.

-- Mike