HP LD Pro: Problems detecting devices.

Javier Kohan wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

 JK> I'm trying to run Linux in a Hewlett Packard LD Pro, with:
* * *
 JK> At boot time, randomly detects, or not, the SCSI units, that
 JK> is, sometimes detects all of then, somtimes only the HD ( I
 JK> Initially had the HD at ID 1, and then, most of times it was
 JK> not detected ).
* * *
 JK> (scsi0) <Adaptec AIC-7880 Ultra SCSI host adapter> found at
 JK> PCI 10/0 (scsi0) Wide Channel, SCSI ID=7, 16/255 SCBs
 JK> (scsi0) BIOS disabled, IO Port 0xf800, IRQ 15
 JK> (scsi0) IO Memory at 0xfedff000, MMAP Memory at 0x8805000
 JK> (scsi0) Resetting channel
 JK> (scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 413 instructions
 JK> downloaded
 JK> scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI)
 JK> 5.0.19/3.2.4        <Adaptec AIC-7880 Ultra SCSI host adapter>
 JK> scsi : 1 host.

I had better reply to this, since I am active with the aic7xxx SCSI controller
driver development effort.  You have encountered a known issue with the 5.0.19
series of driver.  Your best bet if it is not working for you is to use one of
the test patches, currently 5.1.0-pre7, which can be applied either to the
2.0.35 or 2.1.115 kernel sources.  (Note that you need different versions of
the patch archive for the stable and development kernels.)

The test archive at "ftp://ftp.dialnet.net/pub/linux/aic7xxx"; is maintained by
Doug Ledford.  The archive names there should be self-explanatory.  If you have
problems, drop me a note and I'll try to walk you through this.  I'm sure that
Doug would also appreciate a report on your experience with the test.

-- Mike

***
Subcription/unsubscription/info requests: send e-mail with subject of
"subscribe", "unsubscribe", or "info" to discuss-request at blu.org