ISP's

I would like to get ISP service from AT&T for use at home in my linux box, as
I shall be moving sometime in the not too distant future, and they have access
everywhere (at least in the States).

When I tried to get a login and a password from a person at AT&T I was told
that people, as opposed to computers, cannot access this type of information;
I got the impression that maybe it doesn't exist until it's assigned by some
program running in a Windows system somewhere in AT&T, and that it will only
assign it to another Windows program running in my computer. I've received
hints that if I do that, there are people at AT&T who can tell me where to
look in my Windows system, once I've done that, and extract this information,
and that then I could then put it in my Linux box, and, voila!

Is this really true, does anyone know, or is there another way, and what is
the number to call, and what are the magic words to say that unlock the
secrets? If I have to do it that way, is there anything I should know about
the arcana of Windows that will help me to explain to AT&T's tech support what
I'm looking for, or that could help me to find it for myself?

Any help would be gratefully received!

Thanks