Telnet Login

In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.981019230929.16158B-100000 at tgate.toomey.net>you
write
:
> I think /etc/issue gets built in /etc.rc.d/rc.local and then gets copied
> to /etc/issue.net so if you make a change in /etc/issue.net, it will be
> wiped out on the next boot.  This is what happens on my RedHat system.

This is not what happens on my Debian system, although I should have
remembered that from when I ran Red Hat.  The response, then, to the original
question is, "What distribution do you run?" :)

However, I would like to point out that it is, in fact, issue.net that is
shown to users when they log in; it just so happens that Red Hat decided it
was a good idea to rewrite this every time the machine boots.  I would much
rather they didn't do that, since something like

RedHat %s 5.1 (%t)

would work just fine at showing the system name and tty.  Just my $0.02.  I
guess that's what gives the different distributions their flavor, I guess.

The primary reason I switched to Debian was functionality -- Debian simply
_works_ better than Red Hat in most ways.  libc5 support, for instance, is a
big issue on Red Hat 5.x, since programs like StarOffice need a lot of
tweaking to get to work.  On Debian, it's just lock and load.  I also like the
init scripts in Debian better, too.  Of course, I was raised on Slackware, so
I prefer the KISS method.

Debian also includes sudo, XEmacs, and a host of other programs that are
options on Red Hat.  The biggest drawback, IMHO, to Debian is the one thing
it's famous for: being a totally free distribution.  Though ImageMagick and
eeyes are fine programs, xv is still the de facto standard image manipulator,
but since it's shareware, it's not included.  Other similar programs have the
same licensing problems.

What it came down to, though, was that the stability and compatibility that
Debian offers far outweighs the time I spend downloading non-free software for
Debian, especially since the XEmacs distribution for Red Hat is over 30 megs
in itself.

Okay, advertising mode off. :)

Kyle

--
Kyle R. Rose                                 "I know you can fight.
Laboratory for Computer Science               But it's our wits that
krr at mit.edu

***
Subcription/unsubscription/info requests: send e-mail with subject of
"subscribe", "unsubscribe", or "info" to discuss-request at blu.org