Boop!?

| The only foolish question is one to which you already know the answer.

Then I guess this one isn't foolish after all.  Just a silly
little annoyance that I'd like to stop ...

The problem is the loud Boop! that  this  machine  makes  at
random  times.  I'm trying to learn where it comes from, and
how to get it to shut up.

I have weak evidence that it has something to do with email,
as  there is always email present when it happens.  But this
isn't very good evidence.  There's none of the usual sort of
"biff" processes running, so it's not the usual suspect.

Anyone know?

In an office environment, this could easily be  as  annoying
and  obnoxious  as the "You have mail!" voice that W95 boxes
like to produce.

***
Subcription/unsubscription/info requests: send e-mail with subject of
"subscribe", "unsubscribe", or "info" to discuss-request at blu.org