More Processes

>  DC> I'm hoping to purchase a 4-processor linux box with 512 MB RAM
>  DC> and a few GB of SCSI disk space.  However, since I'll be
>  DC> spending my money, I'd like to work out the operating system
>  DC> issues on my Pentium uniprocessor machine first.
>
> If it was the company's money, you should just get another Sun box.

  Could you justify  a bit ? The Linux-SMP mailling-list (where I
redirected DC) has a fair amount of people using Quad PPros or
Quad Xeon in very intensive computations. Considering that such a
machine can be had for 25000$, and can certainly compete for CPU
power with Sun boxes costing a lot more, I just wonder.
  Or do you mean that on company's money is less is best spent
buying a branded Unix box, even if it's N times more expensive.

Daniel

--
Daniel.Veillard at w3.org | W3C  MIT/LCS  NE43-344  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel : +1 617 253 5884  | 545 Technology Square   | Linux, WWW, rpm2html,