More Processes

> Date: Tue, 24 Nov 98 17:59:00 -0000
> From: mikebw at bilow.bilow.uu.ids.net (Mike Bilow)

>  JF> #define NR_TASKS        512
>
>  JF> #define MAX_TASKS_PER_USER (NR_TASKS/2)
>  JF> #define MIN_TASKS_LEFT_FOR_ROOT 4

This is correct.  BTW, I've been unable to build a bootable kernel with
NR_TASKS of 4096 or more (I haven't tried anything greater than 1023 and less
than 4096, so I don't actually know where the cutoff is).

> There is no reason to have this configurable anywhere except in kernel source
> for Linux where people are expected to recompile their kernels anyway.

I'd much rather this be moved to /proc, along with everything else such as
file and inode limits.  Rebuilding kernels is a hassle for something like
this.

--
Robert Krawitz <rlk at tiac.net>	       http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton
***
Subcription/unsubscription/info requests: send e-mail with subject of
"subscribe", "unsubscribe", or "info" to discuss-request at blu.org