Mediaone cable modems

The fwtk was never sold, but it was and is licensed software.  All you
need to do is consent to the licensing and you can download and use it at
no monetary cost.  I was unaware that it was ever free in the "true"
sense.  Stephane, perhaps I am mistaken and you can fill me in on the
history?

http://www.tis.com/research/software/fwtk_down.html

Anyway, the IPFW runs much faster, but is not as secure as the fwtk.  It
depends on your needs (like everything else, huh?)

Chuck Young
GTE Internetworking

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Stephane Alnet wrote:

> Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 19:53:33 -0500
> From: Stephane Alnet <stephane at u-picardie.fr>
> To: discuss at tarnhelm.blu.org
> Subject: Re: Mediaone cable modems
>
> >basically one box needs two NICs and runs the linux IP masquerade
> >stuff.. (I'm running 2.1.x kernels, so i run IPchains).. that solves
> >99% of the 'outgoing' issues.. including special modules for stuff
> >like non-passive FTP and real audio and icmp..
>
> >       * Ip-Chains are much easier than ifwadm stuff for doing network
> >         address translation.. but they're (I think) a 2.1.x thing
> >         only.. (thus the above comment)
>
> There's a patch for 2.0.34 and up (see
> http://www.rustcorp.com/linux/ipchains/).
> But at this time, 2.1.x is a good choice if one is planning to incorporate
> this kind of stuff - you'll be ready for 2.2 ;)  and get lots of nice new
> features.
>
> >incoming to anything other than the gateway machine is more
> >problematic.. though I think there are some port redirectors
> >available.
>
> I used the TIS firewalling toolkit (fwtk) when it was still free - it
> contains a nice generic redirector piece (plug-gw ?) which you can just put
> in your /etc/inetd.conf and voil)B?! But the toolkit is no longer free (nor
> opensource), although some old version are still available on the 'net.
> In any case you can get the toolkit by "registering" (see
> ftp://ftp.tis.com/pub/firewalls/toolkit/ and get the README).
>
> [You may want to read the "Firewalling and Proxy Server HOWTO" to install
> the toolkit. Even if this document is more concerned with the outbound
> traffic (proxys), it's worth reading.]
>
> >for these kinds of things and some starting points at
> >    http://www.ne.mediaone.net/customercare/helpdesk/fs_lans.html
> >and http://rlz.ne.mediaone.net/linux/
>
> Looks like they have a sensible approach, and the second site has all the
> FAQs and Howtos one would need for Linux.
>
> St)B?phane
>

> ***
> Subcription/unsubscription/info requests: send e-mail with subject of
> "subscribe", "unsubscribe", or "info" to discuss-request at blu.org

***
Subcription/unsubscription/info requests: send e-mail with subject of
"subscribe", "unsubscribe", or "info" to discuss-request at blu.org