WordPerfect 8

WP seems to use its own included fonts.  Since it prints pretty nicely, I
just made a screenshot which I put at http://juliet.mit.edu/wp.jpeg for a
few days.  Actually, I'm closely comparing it to Word on NT in the office
next door, and it seems not as bad as I had said.  (I guess my memory of
Word got sugar-coated over time, for some strange reason)

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Glenn Burkhardt wrote:

> > I downloaded it yesterday.  It has plenty of functionality, it was a snap
> > to install, and I printed some good-looking test pages with it.  It
> > _works_ pretty well, but it doesn't _look_ as good as Word, entirely
> > because of the screen fonts (the printed fonts are fine).  What is the
> > story with fonts in X?  Netscape looks OK, and hardly anything else does,
> > and Netscape  seems to have its own fonts which nothing else can use.  I'm
> > not about to go back to MS Windows, but I find it hard to sell free Unix
> > to friends and family when most of the apps have clunky-looking screen
> > fonts.
>
> In addition to sending me a document so I can see what you're seeing, could
> you tell us what fonts you have installed?
>
> I just checked my system, and noticed that I hadn't installed this package
> that came with RHL 5.2:
>
> urw-fonts:
> Free versions of the 35 standard PostScript fonts. With newer releases
> of ghostscript quality versions of the standard 35 Type 1 PostScript
> fonts are shipped. They were donated and licenced under the GPL by
> URW. The fonts.dir was specially made to match the original Adobe
> names of the fonts, e.g. Times, Helvetica etc. W~ith XFree86, these
> fonts are a must to have!
>
> ***
> Subcription/unsubscription/info requests: send e-mail with subject of
> "subscribe", "unsubscribe", or "info" to discuss-request at blu.org

***
Subcription/unsubscription/info requests: send e-mail with subject of
"subscribe", "unsubscribe", or "info" to discuss-request at blu.org