Linux and Scanners - recommendations?

I am aware of the SANE Linux project (Scanner Acess Now Easy) and
seem to recall there was a presentation on it at one of the
meetings this year. Unfortunately I missed that one.

I now find myself wit an Acer parallel port scanner which
I would like to be usuable under Linux. The scanner
section of the hardware HOWTO says Acer won't give people
any information on their scanners. I have a call in to Acer
in case they decide to, but I don't hold out much hope.

I think I need to get a different scanner.

Do any of you have experience using SANE?
Are there other scanner solutions for Linux?
What scanners work best with SANE?

I have been to the SANE website (http://www.mostang.com/sane)
Unfortunately yesterday and today it has been inaccessible.
Anyone else having the same problem. Guess I should never
count on being able to get back to pages...ALWAYS print important
stuff out :-) The site has a list of the scanners they support
- the focus is on SCSI but one or two parallel printers are supported.

I downloaded SANE 1.0 and built it. I have been trying to figure out
how to start it. There is a nice tutorial on the website but
it is inacccessible right now :-(

When the site is back up, I will be able to do more and maybe
test out the SANE quickcam support.

Any  advice or ideas appreciated.

My requirements for a scanner are:

SANE support
30 bit
600x1200 dpi
Slide, neg, transparency, reflective orig support - preferably without u
	using a tray for slides (too dusty)

Bundled Windows NT software including OCR.

Thanks in advance!

Jeffrey Perry
j.perry at lynx.dac.neu.edu (note the dot in the email address)

***
Subcription/unsubscription/info requests: send e-mail with subject of
"subscribe", "unsubscribe", or "info" to discuss-request at blu.org