Please tell me if a 386 is realistic for Linux (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 1999 21:58:47 -0500
From: Bill Horne <bhorne at banet.net>
To: general at BLU.ORG
Subject: Please tell me if a 386 is realistic for Linux

Sirs,

My sister, whom has very little cash, is trying to get a "better"
machine than the 8088 she's been using for 12 years.  Her requirements
are very modest:  a word processor is essential, and a spreadsheet would
be very welcome.

As it happens, I've a 386 that's sitting around, and want to offer it to
her as a step up.  Of course, Windows won't run worth a damn on a 386,
so please tell me if Linux will.

The machine I have is equipped with 8MB of RAM and a 40MB hard drive,
and does not have a CD-ROM or other mass storage.  It has only 5.25 inch
floppies, and a monochrome display.  Although this is, of course,
antideluvian by "wintel" standards, I hope that the Linux system is
efficient enough to make it usable for her.

Please tell me if the machine is usable "as is", or if more memory
and/or hard drive is needed; I also need to know if I can obtain or make
floppies to load Linux on the machine, and what the "minimum" system
requirements are.

Last, I'll ask a favor:  although I've programmed PL/I in a IBM MVS
environment, I know very little about PC's.  Please provide specific
advice on where I may obtain detailed instructions and how to use them.

Thank you for your time.

Bill Horne

***
Subcription/unsubscription/info requests: send e-mail with subject of
"subscribe", "unsubscribe", or "info" to discuss-request at blu.org