mail clients

Jerry Feldman {75562} wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

 JF{> There are two capabilities that I would like to have:
 JF{> 1. The ability to add header elements (such as approved: for
 JF{> majordomo).
 JF{> 2. The ability to change the From: (Which I may not be able to
 JF{> accomplish with this firewall).

It would be fairly easy to do this with the standard Procmail/Formail
distribution.  Generally, Procmail is the inbound delivery agent invoked from
your personal ".forward" file, and Formail is the outbound massager that can
add or edit header lines and such.

However, Formail depends upon Sendmail to send mail via SMTP, and it would
therefore result in "May be forged" warnings in your mail headers if you change
the sender envelope address.  Keep in mind that the sender envelope address may
be entirely disconnected from the "From" header, and the firewall is less
likely to care about a message header than the envelope exchange.

A very good source of information on the Procmail/Formail package is:

   http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/

 JF{> Other than this, the other problem is that Netscape is not
 JF{> polling for email eventhough I have a set interval.

There is always the standard Unix "popclient" utility.

-- Mike

***
Subcription/unsubscription/info requests: send e-mail with subject of
"subscribe", "unsubscribe", or "info" to discuss-request at blu.org