(forwarded) Partitioning problems, Redhat 5.1

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 23:34:33 EST
From: XXPlaGuEXx at aol.com
To: jabr at blu.org
Subject: Hi- Can you Please help me??

	Hi.  I recently purchased a book (Mastering Linux)  which included a complete
copy of Redhat 5.1 .  I have had nothing but trouble trying to install it.  I
followed the books instructions to a tee, but to no avail.  It suggested using
the Fips tool to partition my disk, however that program is on this linux CD
and my computer will not recognize my CD ROM drive while running in a complete
DOS environment.  So I went out and purchased partition magic.  I set aside
about 1 gigabyte to install linux on.  when prompted, I selected disk druid
instead of fdisk just as the book suggested.  I then get the error message:
Fdisk error-  Error occured reading partition table from the block device
/tmp/hdd.  The error was inpu/output error. ~  First of all, I wonder why I am
getting an fdisk error when i selected disk druid.  Either way it lets me skip
that and continue on to disk druid.  I do not understand at all this
"mounting"  of the program, I just followed the instructions in the book.
However, linux keeps saying there is 0 Megabytes free on the partition...
which is false... because there is absolutely nothing there... my Hard drive
is 13.5 gigs, so there should be no problem.  Please help me, i am desparately
trying to get this up and running, and nobody can seem to help.  Also I am
running windows98- can the FAT32 partition be the problem?  Please help.
Thanks- I appreciate it much!  =)

George

***