Fonts FAQ?

I've recently started using XFree86 a lot (actually Gimp).  I have been
looking for info on fonts - how they are installed, where to get more, how
the font path works, etc.  I've looked for FAQs, HOW-TOs, but can't find
any.  I looked into the man pages, but didn't find much info there either.
I've been to the www.X11.org page and the WindowMaker page - but no info
there either.  I even went through the 16 pages of posts to this maillist
and found no entries on Fonts.  I did however read some interesting debates
on GUI vs. Text, and learned a lot about PPP, and getting a second Eth
interface up and running.

Does anyone have the location of some helpfull info on X11R6/XFree86 fonts?

Thanks
Mark Tolman
WAN Engineer