named

On 12-Feb-99 rir at phavl.ma.ultranet.com wrote:

> I have a small private network of 15 machines, served by one
> nameserver which is authoritative for the domain.

This is EXACTLY what I am doing at home with what I think is good
success.  My case.... I have a home network with 3 machines, 1
33k modem (for personal use) and a ISDN router for business.

My quest was to setup DNS to resolve my local domain, defer business.com
over the ISDN to work DNS, and defer *.com/net/edu/... to my ISP DNS (well,
I actually defer everything else to nasa but the concept holds true).

The solution was to setup my DNS server as a root server.  Unfortunately I'm
on my way work now, so I'll have to post the configs later tonight or tomorrow.
I believe the newer bind supprts a feature called 'forward'.  I am not
certain as to it's proper use, but I know my setup is working, and therefore
I'm root.  Please email me a reminder if you're interested in the detailed
setup.