Interfaces (was Windows Refund day - reaction)

I generally agree with what folks have been saying here in this thread, and
I think that its a useful discussion. Gawd knows that I love *nix for its
shells, but but:

<JC>
>human brain is quite good  at  remembering  names,  while  we're  not
>nearly as good at remembering a path through a maze.
</JC>

I think that different folks have different strengths and weeknesses, and
different learning styles.   But your point is well taken.

There are people who are incredibly spacially aware, and have a real
kinesthetic memory, and explorative learning style, who may not have very
good phonetic memories.  This pretty much describes me. I have a really
hard time spelling words , or remembering peoples names, but I can usually
get to their house.  :)

OTOH, there is nothing more fun than "magic words" that when typed do,
well, whatever you would like them to do! :)

There is an intersting "Anti Mac Interface" article at the ACM website:
http://www.acm.org/cacm/AUG96/antimac.htm

its really quite thought provoking.

- N o a h -