Linux Compatible Hardware - Graphics Cards (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 14:56:40 -0500
From: Carl A. Hein <hein at ziggy.radex.plh.af.mil>
To: John Abreau <jabr at blu.org>
Subject: Linux Compatible Hardware - Graphics Cards

One of the problems I find with Linux is that that few of the AGP graphics
cards support Linux, and that many of those that are supported have
disappeared from the retail market. It seems that the marketing of a given
graphics card is such that they are available for a few months (at very
inflated prices) and then quickly dissappear from the shelves, and are sometimes
replaced by cards with a similar name, but completely incompatible hardware.

Are there any dealers in the Boston area which stock Linux compatible cards?
I have recently upgraded to 350 MHz P-II's, and I have installed older PCI cards
because the graphics cards (#9 Reality 334 and Matrox G200) support is
not available in the current releases of Red Hat or Caldera.  From what  I
understand, the Reality 334 is unsupported, and crashes the system if used,
and the G200 is supported in XFree86 3.3.3.

Threre are also such support problems with Network Cards from 3-Com.

Any suggestions

hein at ziggy.radex.plh.af.mil
chein at tiac.net

-