Run Linux and Win concurrently!

>Yes.  VMs are not new.  IBM had VM on their 370 series computers
>soemwhere around 1969 (Actually it was implemented on a high
>end 360 first).  I ran VM370 on an IBM 370/138 and 370/148 back
>in the late '70s.  We were very surprised that the throughput
>was actually improved using the VM than using IBM's VS1 OS in
>native mode.  With cheap memory today, it makes a lot of sense.
>
>This differes from the WABI/WINE approach because you would
>actually be running Windoz in a Virtual Machine.

The IBM (and Wang) approach to VM was indeed very nice, but
they had a fundamental advantage that one does not have with a
Pentium: microcode support for the Virtual Machine fraud you're
trying to perpetrate on the "guest" OS's.  My mind boggles when
I contemplate the unnatural acts these vmware.com guys would
have had to commit to get a real-live OS like Linux (or even
NT) to believe that it actually had sole control of the native
hardware.  We're not just talking about the Virtual 8086 mode
support offered by the Pentium, but the whole enchilada.  Yikes!
Very impressive, especially if you can use anything faster than
a calendar to time its performance...

-