SSH

John.Boland at CyberTrust.GTE.Com asked me privately:
> i'd like to try that ssh you have for windoze.  however, i can't get to the
> url!?! ... http://209.6.162.179/download.

Yeah, according to the logs I've seen a few people download it; try it
again in case there was an outage at the time you tried (I know there
was a lengthy RCN hiccup on Tuesday).

For the benefit of other readers who might fetch this and not know
what to do, I'll cc this to the BLU list.  Basically, Tera Term with
SSH extensions provides a telnet-like interface very similar to the
terminal emulator I've been using for years, QVT/NET, and enables you
to get to your home Linux box securely from anywhere.  You turn off
telnetd, rlogind and so forth, replacing them with a listener on port
22.  Then you can go to any Windoze PC on the net, download this SSH
client, and make an encrypted connection without worrying about
someone sniffing the password or the data sent and received during
your terminal session (unless of course they've got a sniffer running
on the PC at which you're sitting).  I also put a copy of PKZIP there,
since half the PC's I visit don't have an unzipper.

The Unix/Linux server builds out of the box on Linux; just run configure
and then make install.  Modify the /etc/sshd_config file to suit your
tastes, and add /usr/local/sbin/sshd_config to one of your 'rc' files.

To use the above URL with Windoze: Get the ttssh14.zip and
ttermp23.zip files.  Unpack the ttermp23.zip and run its setup
program.  Then unpack ttssh into the installation directory (\program
files\ttermpro).  Modify the teraterm.ini file as desired: to set the
default mode to ssh, set TCPPort=22 in the teraterm.ini file and add
the following section at the end (substituting the desired values for
your installation).  I also change the font colors, e.g.
'VTColor=0,255,0,0,0,0' will configure a black background with green
letters.

Here's a sample of the section I added to teraterm.ini for my home system.

[TTSSH]
Enabled=1
Compression=0
DefaultUserName=richb
DefaultForwarding=
CipherOrder=136025
KnownHostsFiles=c:\misc\security\ssh_known_hosts
DefaultRhostsLocalUserName=
DefaultRhostsHostPrivateKeyFile=
DefaultRSAPrivateKeyFile=
DefaultAuthMethod=3