Linux help

I set up ppp at home using the Redhat control panel, and it worked out of
the box. I later switched to Christoph Doerbeck's xplink because xplink
could handle multiple ISPs easily. I don't recall all the details,
offhand, and I haven't used Slackware for over three years.

I've cc'ed this to our discussion list at discuss at blu.org; you're welcome
to join us.

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, John B. Nemec wrote:

> John,
>
> I recently found your name on the internet under Boston Computer Society User Groups as a person involved with Linux.  I have for the second time in several years, installed Linux (Slackware 3.0.25 release) on my PC clone. The first time the base install went fine but "X" would not work due to my video card not yet being supported properly. Now that problem is fixed and I have a working system with "X" running and am learning lots.  I am however not able to connect to the internet at all using a dial up PPP connection. I have read every FAQ, doc, and informational thing I can find and have a few UNIX and Linux books as well.  My ISP is of little help in the matter as they say they don't offer telephone support for anything other than Windows or Mac environments.  My modem dials out fine, tries to establish a V.90 connection and I believe my scripts and config files are correct, as far as I know but I am never able to fully connect and exchange data via PPP.  Ifconfig shows only local info and ping never reaches the host. My messages and debug files show the system is trying to connect.
>  I really need help and was wondering if you could suggest someone who may be able to assist me in the setup of my system. I am about ready to give it all up and go back to Windows...that would be sad. It is probably just something real simple but as I am a relative newbie I am missing it and getting a bit frustrated.  The rest of the system seems to be working fine at the moment.
>
> If you are able to drop me a few names or connect me with someone who is using dial up connections and PPP into an ISP for internet applications, I would be very greatful. One person at my ISP offered to try to help via email messages but that is not really practical, I need to visit with someone on the phone or in person.
>
> Thanks very much,
>
> John Nemec
> nemecj at gis.net
> 1(508)668-4660