Update: URGENT! Server can't access net anymore

rearranging IRQ's can sometimes change the assignment ordering of eth0
and eth1.. if they swapped when you made the change you'll have
problems with media one (whose DHCP server is tied to 1
card).. confirm the MAC address after doing ifconfig to make sure eth0
is the card you think it is..

-P

In a previous episode David Kramer said...
::
:: 1) I have my server up in Winblows 95 right now, and I found a trial
:: version on a mail server that runs on it.  So I can again get email sent
:: to the list.  If you previously replied to the list, PLEASE RESEND.
::
:: 2) I've been getting another message when trying dhcpcd -d eth0.
:: "no DHCPOFFER messages".  /usr/doc/dhcpcd*/README refers to this
:: message, but doesn't really explain it or suggest any fixes.
::
:: 3) I haven't received a single reply, and I'm very surprised. I'm
:: desperate, man.
::
:: Here is the original message in case anyone missed it
:: ------------------------------------------------------------
:: I have the standard setup:
:: MediaOne cablemodem <--> eth0]linux box[eth1 <--> intranet
:: ipfwadm rules based on rlz.ne.mediaone.net.  P133, DEC Tulip network
:: cards, 10baseT.  Red Hat 5.2, all updates.
::
:: All was well, until I had to swap out my motherboard today.  The IRQ's
:: changed, there was a conflict, I resolved it, and it's been a nightmare
:: ever since.
::
:: Let me start out by saying I'm currently running the box under Win95, and
:: I can connect to the cablemodem/dhcp works fine.
::
:: -When I boot in linux, dhcpcd fails.  ifconfig doesn't show eth0.
:: -If I ifconfig eth0 up, it comes up as 0.0.0.0
:: -If I dhcpcd -d eth0, it says "sendto(init): operation not permitted"
:: -Many internet commands give the same message, like ping. -route listed
:: eth1 as default and no eth0.  I deleted default
::  and added eth0 as default.  Now most internet commands hang.
::
:: I'm going crazy about this because this box is, among other things, my
:: mailserver, so all my mail (a few hundred a day) is going to bounce, and
:: I'll get kicked off mailing lists.  Because of this, I'm pleading for
:: help.  If you want money for your help, then fine.  You can email me at
:: kramer at mediaone.net if you can offer some tips.  You can call my house at
:: 781-894-9387 or my cellphone at 781-888-4994 if you're willing to help
:: interactively.
::
:: -
:: Subcription/unsubscription/info requests: send e-mail with
:: "subscribe", "unsubscribe", or "info" on the first line of the
:: message body to discuss-request at blu.org (Subject line is ignored).
::

-