Fixing broken filesystems

Is there an instruction manual somewhere on how to fix these buggers?

I have on a couple full moon occasions on various machines had evil little
things happen such that the automatic fsck after a dirty shutdown never
passes automatically ever again after that.  Clean shutdown restarts are
fine, but this evil lingers in the background waiting to strike.  After a
manual fsck where I tell it to ignore a particular little sin (Short read
on an inode, for example) then it chugs along on its merry way spreading
happiness in its path.  One incidence of evil and it sits there belly up
(Tango Uniform) until I 'fix' it again..

Any favorite references less than the equivalent of a master's degree? (ala
ORA's bat book)

MEG
-