scanner

I am trying to get a new HP 6200C scanner running under Linux.

I have an Adaptec 1542CF SCSI adapter, with a SCSI disk and the
scanner:
   poet:/dev# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
   Attached devices:
   Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
     Vendor: HP       Model: C3323-300        Rev: 4269
     Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
   Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
     Vendor: HP       Model: C6270A           Rev: 3828
     Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02

I have configured a 2.2.5 kernel with generic SCSI device support:
   poet:/dev# cat /proc/devices
   Character devices:
     1 mem
    14 sound
    21 sg
    67 coda_psdev
   128 ptm
   136 pts

   Block devices:
     1 ramdisk
     2 fd
     7 loop
     8 sd
    23 mcd

The devices look okay (at least for root access):
   poet:/tmp# ls -l /dev/sg?
   crw-------   1 root     sys       21,   0 May 27  1997 /dev/sg0
   crw-------   1 root     sys       21,   1 May 27  1997 /dev/sg1
   crw-------   1 root     sys       21,   2 May 27  1997 /dev/sg2
   crw-------   1 root     sys       21,   3 May 27  1997 /dev/sg3
   crw-------   1 root     sys       21,   4 May 27  1997 /dev/sg4
   crw-------   1 root     sys       21,   5 May 27  1997 /dev/sg5
   crw-------   1 root     sys       21,   6 May 27  1997 /dev/sg6
   crw-------   1 root     sys       21,   7 May 27  1997 /dev/sg7

I have installed the Debian version 1.00-1 sane package:
   poet:/dev# scanimage --version
   scanimage (sane) 1.0

find-scanner succeeds:
   poet:/tmp# find-scanner
   find-scanner: found processor "HP C6270A 3828" at device /dev/sg1

I have edited the configuration file.  Here are the uncommented lines:
   poet:/dev# cat /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
   hp
   pnm

However, scanimage -L does not report the scanner:
   poet:/dev# ls -l scanner;
   lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            8 Apr 22 21:07 scanner -> /dev/sg1
   poet:/dev# scanimage -L;
   device `pnm:0' is a Noname PNM file reader virtual device
   device `pnm:1' is a Noname PNM file reader virtual device

I tried all the /dev/sg? devices, with the same result.

Actually, strace indicates that /dev/scanner is never accessed.

I have checked out these scanner URLs:
   http://www.linuxsoup.com/docs/sane.html
   http://www.mostang.com/sane
   http://www.uio.no/~olews/scanner.html