RED HAT 6.0 and SCSI ???

Noah,

Thanks for replying. I'll clarify a few things for you.

-My adapter:
I'm using an Adeptec 2940 ultra wide.

-Booting:
When i boot the machine the SCSI bios shows everything where it should be. Your basic BIOS messages. I currently have Red Hat 5.1 on my machine. When i boot into Red Hat, it works fine.

-My SCSI devices:
I only have 1 IDE device on my machine, and that's a HDD that has an alien OS on it. I have 2 SCSI HDDs My CDROM is SCSI, and i have a SCSI Zip drive.

-What i've tried:
I'm using the Red Hat CD to boot into the setup for RedHat 6.0. I tried normal setup, and it was scaning my SCSI bus forever. I then tried expert mode (i am far far from an expert, but i was running out of choices). In expert mode it asked the usually questions about the keyboard, the language, and where the installation is form, and so on. I selected CDROM, and it asked if i had any SCSI adapters. I said yes. Then it asked whether it should autoprobe my SCSI card or if I wanted to specify options. I tried to specify options, but it asked my for  module options. I didn't know what to put for that. I don't know how to find out what to put for that. There's probably a way to find out using Red Hat 5.1's module options, but i don't know it. So i went back and chose autoprobe the SCSI adapter. That's when it went into an endless loop trying to scan my SCSI card, and timing out. I'm pretty sure that all my SCSI devices are termanated where they should be. Otherwise i don't think that i would have made it through the BIOS, or be able to boot into Red Hat 5.1.

I hope that this helps you Noah, and anyone else that might have suggestions.

-Brad

|Hey Brad,
|
|I am not at all  SCSI guru type. It just seemed like no one was |replying to
|you, so I figured I would give it a shot... I just have some |questions.
|
|Do you know the name of the SCSI card you are using?  It seems to me |that
|the most commonly supported cards are Buslogic cards and Adaptec |Cards.  I
|personally have not tried booting linux with other cards.
|
|I also dont know what you mean by:
|
| > I know when i booted the SCSI worked fine.
|

|Does that mean that you have used this CDROM drive before in another |OS, or
|that you have used the CDROM drive with a previous install of linux, |or
|just that when you booted up the BIOS said that it found the card... |?
|there are lots of other possibilities.
|

|Also this one made me stop and think too:
|
| >I picked SCSI, becuase the CD was in my SCSI drive.
|
|Its fairly common now adays to have computers which have SCSI hard |drives,
|but have IDE controlled CDROM drives.  If there is any doubt, just |open the
|case and make sure that the CDROM drive is cabled up to the SCSI |card.
|

|Usually there are SCSI driver BIOS tools you can enter into at boot |time,
|just as the machine is starting up and counting memory, and doing all |that
|fun stuff, there may be some message about the SCSI bios. Usually  |you can
|enter some sort of SCSI testing mode, which will tell you all about |what
|kind of card you are using, and sometimes, if you are really lucky |will
|have diagnostic tools, which will do things like tell you what IRQ |the card
|is using, what devices are attached, and what their SCSI ID's are.   |Take
|notes ! :)  This stuff will help you later on.
|
|If worse comes to worse, you can do a dejanews search for your SCSI |card
|name, Linux, and CDROM at http://www.dejanews.com
|
|Hope this helps,

|-Noah

| >I have just got Rad Hat 6.0. I only have the the CD i didn't get |the
| >packaged version. I'm going though the setup. It ask if using a |SCSI CDROM
| >other. I picked SCSI, becuase the CD was in my SCSI drive. It then |went to
| >scan the SCSI bus. And it has been doing that for about a half hour |now. I
| >do have four SCSI devices, but i don't think that it should take |this long.
| >
| >Does anyone have an idea? Hi,
|
|I have just got Rad Hat 6.0. I only have the the CD i didn't get the
|packaged version. I'm going though the setup. It ask if using a SCSI |CDROM
|other. I picked SCSI, becuase the CD was in my SCSI drive. It then |went to
|scan the SCSI bus. And it has been doing that for about a half hour |now. I
|do have four SCSI devices, but i don't think that it should take this |long.
|
|Does anyone have an idea? I know when i booted the SCSI worked fine.

|-Brad