Should the BLU help its members find jobs?

FWIW,

I have posted jobs to this list and gotten a few guys hired here at
GTEI/BBN and have not been flamed for it so far.  This may be because I
was looking for people to FILL an opening as opposed to selling myself,
but the end result seems to me to be similar enough:  someone reading the
list gained income through a post related somehow to linux/unix SA.

Now, I have a great deal of respect for Chris and enjoy his (often
twisted) sense of humor, but I think he over reacted just a bit yesterday.
Rich is not selling some "strictly-commercial" third-party solution, he's
looking for work.  I think this takes him out of the "pimp" category.
(although there is still hope if nobody hires him, and it may keep him in
the "prostitute" category)  :-)

Folks on this list have written with linux system and hardware problems
offering to pay others on the list for technical support, which seemed
reasonable to me, although I think the papal we helped him out for free.
Also, I have seen people ask for referrals for consultants - I provided
one for a guy, who thanked me off line.  It was one of those awful win-win
situations we hear so much about, but never experience personally.

I feel that getting list members employed is an acceptable use of this
list, and leave it to them to remain tactful.  If O'Reilly or some other
vendor wants to post a sale/discount, I think it's cool too.  I have no
idea how to "police" this let-it-take-care-of-itself policy, but then, if
it does take care of itself, we won't have to.  Doesn't that sound good?

I welcome all reasoned disagreement, or pointers to a list "Charter" I am
certainly unaware of.  I hope all of you can get a job doing what you like
to do that pays reasonably well.  If reading this list helps you get
there, that's great.

Chuck Young
GTE Internetworking

-