Debian

Richard Royston wrote:
<snip>
> I bought Debian 2.0 from CheapBytes aome weeks ago to install on an old PC I
<snip>
> Is there an ASCII installation script somewhere in the RAMDISK filesystem that
> I could look at and edit to stop it getting into this stupid loop? Or have I
<snip>
> I seem to remeber Gerry remarking at the Installfest that Debian 2.0 wasn't
> really 2.0, or something like that, but I didn't follow up. Silly me!
I happen to have an extra Debian 2.1 CD. (Cheap Bytes sent me the contents
of Binary 1 on Binary 2. I complained and they sent me Binary 1 again).
There is an ASCII installation script on the CD somewhere. Most of their
docs are html and available on the web. Debian 2.0 contains a 2.0.35
kernel(as I remember). I installed 2.1 on my drive before the installfest,
but immediately replaced it with SuSE.
My suggestion is that you get an ATAPI compliant CD Rom. I have a Mitsumi
ATAPI that I took out of my wife's machine. CD ROM drives are under $50.00.

The debian package manager is a bit confusing.
     Debian Linux `dselect' package handling frontend.

     0.  [A]ccess  Choose the access method to use.
     1.  [U]pdate  Update list of available packages, if possible.
     2   [S]elect  Request which packages you want on your system.
     3.  [I]nstall Install and upgrade wanted packages.
     4.  [C]onfig  Configure any packages that are unconfigured.
     5.  [R]emove  Remove unwanted software.
     6.  [Q]uit    Quit dselect.

If you use one of the canned installations, you would skip the select step.
You follow these steps in order. You can always go back to deselect later.
Select is where you select the individual packages. It is not intuative, but
there is help on it available online. I suggest going to Debian's web site
and reviewing the installation manuals. (These are all on the CD).
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/dselect-beginner.html
ttp://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-init-config.en.html#s-install-base

--
Jerry Feldman (HP On-Site Consultant) http://gbrweb.msd.ray.com/~gzf/