Samba questions

> When I do smbclient -L windoz on either system, it fails.
> I have a /etc/lmhosts file as well as /etc/hosts. All systems are pingable
> from eachother.

With what message? (an exact copy would help!)

> On the Windows system, when I check network neighborhood, it sees itself
> and the alpha, but not the SuSE. The ip addresses are correct in the
> c:\windows\lmhosts file.

This is not required.  The Windoz systems will discover the systems by
broadcasting queries.

But, since you have the SuSE system listed in the LMHOSTS file, you can
try mapping a network drive (right click on network neighborhood icon, or
select tools in the explorer).  Browsing is an art (that's what makes things
show up in the network neighborhood), and often fails.

The most current version of Samba is 2.0.4b - what version are you using?

> Tonight I thought I might try explicitly listing each host in the allow
> hosts and see if that works.

I'll bet that will have no effect.

Did you modify the registry on the Windoz machines to allow clear text
passwords?  There's a .reg file supplied with the Samba docs that can be
double clicked on to change the registry (Win95_PlainPassword.reg).  See
also 'Win95.txt' in the textdocs directory.

-