printing on linux

Chris:

When I needed to set up my HP laserjet 1100 (which emulated as an hp 4
(or 5))  I had to send an extra argument to the device to get the
emulation right.  Otherwise it would just spool and sit.

I use Redhat and set up the printer through control panel where all the
arguments were there for the picking.  I don't remember the argument I
used (which prob. wouldn't work for you anyway).  If you can set it up
through control panel, do that.  I don't know which distro. you're using
(and couldn't help you with anything other than Redhat anyway).

Hopefully this will give you a direction to go in.