What is identd?

Bill Horne <bhorne at banet.net> writes:

> This is probably a newbie question, but there's nothing in
> the RH 5.2 info or man pages about it.
>
> My ppp log shows at least one of these errors every time I
> log on:
>
> <date> <time> localhost inetd[486]: execv
> /usr/sbin/in.identd: no such file or directory.
>
> Please tell me why, and thanks for your time.

The ident protocol is one which allows a remote machine to determine
which user on your machine is responsible for a connection to their
machine.  If you want to check it out for yourself, telnet to your own
machine and type netstat -n.  You'll see something like the following:

Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address State
tcp        0    128 127.0.0.1:23            127.0.0.1:1287  ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:1287          127.0.0.1:23    ESTABLISHED
tcp        0      0 18.23.3.67:1023         18.52.0.248:22  ESTABLISHED

If you then telnet again to your own machine on port ident, you can
type in a port pair separated by a comma, and it will spit out the
username associated with that connection.  E.g.,

krose at twilight-symphony:~% telnet 127.0.0.1 ident
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
1287,23
1287 , 23 : USERID : UNIX : krose
Connection closed by foreign host.

This protocol is used by many daemons on remote machines to log the id
of the user making the connection.  It is mostly of use when one
wishes to inform a sysadmin of a user using a machine to

--
Kyle R. Rose                      "They can try to bind our arms,
Laboratory for Computer Science    But they cannot chain our minds