RCN vs Mediaone cable modem experiences?

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, John Chambers,,,781-647-1813 wrote:

> What I wonder is when we Internet nerd types will be able  to  get  a
> real  (i.e.,  full-time)  Internet  hookup  at home for an affordable
> price.  I have a lot of things that I'd like to work on, which  can't
> be done during spare moments at work for many reasons.  They can't be
> done via phone links to ISPs, because a permanent hookup this way  is
> prohibitively expensive. What is really needed by people like me is a
> not-very-fast 24-hour Internet hookup.  A 56 Kb line would  be  quite
> usable,  if it puts my machine online full time.  But I don't see any
> evidence that any capitalist enterprise sees me as a market  that  is
> worth persuing.

   I guess it depends what you consider affordable and prohibitively
expensive.  A dedicated dial-up can go for as low as $50/mo and a second
phone line can be had for about $20/mo.  Personally, I'm paying about
$90/mo total for dedicated 56k dialup with a 16 IP subnet.  I could shave
another $10 off if I switched to a more local access number.
   With this setup I'm also allowed to use my full bandwidth 24/7 doing
whatever I want.  It just happens to make for a very happy little server
hosting three DNS domains, a couple of web sites, a mailing list or two,
and several personal PCs hung off of it.

     -Matt

"I wept because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet.  So I
took his shoes."
	-Dave Barry

-