Wireless

Hello,
	GPS equipment for planes is very expensive.  The majority of the
equipment is IFR certified and is in the 10 thousand dollar price range,
last time I checked.  After you pay the instrument guy $70 an hour to
install it you then need to get your plane re-weighed.  That GPS could
take all weekend to get done right.  On top of that I think once a year
or twice a year you need to get the gps certified again. Plus the FAA
would have to upgrade their systems, the faa never upgrades their systems.
It would definitely be a nightmare to get planes out fitted with all of
that. If john was smart he would have held off to till the morning - their
are often bad flight conditions during the day and at night at the
vineyard and nantucket, during the day he would at least be in situation
he knew with light instead of darkness.  John had very few hours and had
no business making that flight at the time he did, at the very least he
should have filed a flight plan with the FAA.

Anthony

-