Linux, Avionics, and spins

Karl Hergenrother wrote:

> tapes.  JFK has been criticized for not filing a flight plan.  An indication of a
> casual attitude, particularly considering the flight over water.  But not required.
> Would a flight plan saved him and his passengers?  No.  Technology can't protect us
> from bad judgment.  His first bad judgment was buying the Saratoga.  His subsequent
> errors have been cataloged by the media.
Good post Karl. Filing a flight plan would have made absolutely no
difference whatsoever. He was reported missing earlier than he would have
been had he filed a flight plan. While the outcome would have been the same,
had JFK used the radio a bit more, the search would have been less costly.
The bottom line is that he got in over his head. We can speculate that the
additional features of the aircraft (constant speed prop, retractable gear,
higher speed) contributed to the problem, but I think even in a skyhawk or
PA-28 with fixed gear, fixed prop, and 120 knots, he still would have had
the same result. It was spacial disorientation and the lack of training and
experience. But, it was his judgement to go when he probably knew better. I
wrecked a perfectly good Huey also because of a lock of good judgement at
the time.
--
Jerry Feldman (HP On-Site Consultant) http://gbrweb.msd.ray.com/~gzf/