Remeber when I ranted about RH 6.0...

On Wed, 28 Jul 1999, Christoph wrote:

> If you are like me, and don't want the login process monkeying around
> with the permissions of files in /dev,
> the simple fix ought to be to remove the line. I will experiment and
> report back...

FYI, the login process has always done this.  When a user logs in, the
terminal (or pseudo-tty) that they log in on has its owner changed to the
user who logged in, and the permissions may or may not be changed based on
wether or not the user allows messages to be written to the terminal by
other users.

This is a standard feature of Unix.  I suspect that some programs will not
work if you monkey with this.  One that I know of is xconsole.
Historically, the user must be the owner of /dev/console for xconsole to
work. This is generally achieved through configuration scripts that run
when X starts if xdm is being used, and by login if it isn't.

Derek D. Martin           |  UNIX System Administrator
d_martin at worldnet.att.net |  dmartin at lancity.com

-