Sharing files with Windows

On Sun, 8 Aug 1999, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> While I have been using Linux for several years, I have maintained my Windows95
> system. I am now at the point where I use Windows95 primarily for Quicken. I
> still get my POP3 email on Windows because I still have not found one that I
> like as well as Pegasus, and David Harris is not porting it.

I use fetchmail to pull my mail over with POP3, and then exmh to read it.
I did customize the underlying MH to use tarnhelm as my SMTP server, which
bypassed the need to much with sendmail locally.

> My current todo list is.
> 1. Either share or copy my existing windoz icq database to Linux.
>     Also, any preferences on iCQ clients :KXicq - KDE based, or gtkicq.
>     I have tried KXicq, but not gticq yet.

I've been quite happy with gtkicq. I haven't tried KXicq; I did try a few
other icq clients before gtkicq, and had lots of problems; however, I
don't recall which ones.

> 2. Palm Pilot sync client. There are several good ones. I just have not gotten
> around to setting it up. On Windows I use the Daytimer organizer to manage my
> consulting hours. Again, all the right tools exist, but I have not taken the
> time to set it up.

I've stuck with pilot-link for plain backups; I haven't set up any
conduits or anything like that.

> 3. Porting the Pegasus email folders. While Pegasus not supports RFC822 mailbox
> format. I have several years worth of email I would like to convert into
> something I could use. I have my folders set up very hierarchially. I am
> currently looking at several email clients (Postilion is a tkRat superset,
> tkRat, xfmail, Netscape, and exmh). One thing I want to have is multiple ids or
> personalities so I can switch my signature. Netscape supports hierachial
> folders, but  you can only configure 1 signature. To change signatures, you
> need to edit/preferences, or cut/paste. I could always write my own or become
> less schizoid.

Are the Pegasus mail folders in a readable text format? If so, a simple
perl script should be able to convert it to something reasonable (like
RFC822 format).

> 4. Find replacement for Quicken. Someone did post it to either GNHLUG or here.
> I just have not followed through.

I run Quicken on my iMac, which doesn't address your question. You could
look at GnuCash, at

    http://www.gnucash.org

I haven't tried it yet, so I have no idea how complete it is at this
point.

Another alternative is to run Quicken & Win95 within VMware.

Email: jabr at blu.org / URL: http://www.blu.org
ICQ#28611923 / AIM abreauj