PPP connection is dropping too frequently

Derek Martin wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Aug 1999, Phil Buckley wrote:
>
> > I have checked the cabels, the phone line and even went so far as to
> > uninstall and reinstall ppp! Still I am getting this bad behavior.
> > I am using a RH6 system with an old external Cardinal 28.8/33.6 modem.
> >
> > I'm really just looking for suggestions where I could look, or what to
> > try.
>
> Sounds like the only thing left is the modem... it may be going bad.
> Sounds like a great time to upgrade to 56k... :)
Another area to check out is the quality of the phone lines in your area.
Has there been any recent construction or phone line work in your area? Any
noise on the phone line. The recent lightning storms could have caused some
problems. Before buying a new modem, see if you can borrow a known good
modem and check things out. I know of one case where a refrigerator caused a
modem to drop out.
--
Jerry Feldman (HP On-Site Consultant) http://gbrweb.msd.ray.com/~gzf/