M1X and RR

Chuck Young wrote:

> Does anyone know if "mediaone express" and "RoadRunner" are the same?
>
> Curious minds will always want to know useless sordid details...
Yes and no.
Yes, Mediaone merged with Time Warner's Road Runner service. However, their
traditional RR service and Mediaone's service were a bit different. M1X uses
LanCity cable modems, and throttles them down to 1Mbps/300Kbps where RR, at
least in upper New York state was using a 10Mbps bandwidth. Mediaone had
justified the lower bandwidth technically for a couple of reasons. First was
that most PCs could not sustain 10Mbps, and that a single customer could not
suck up the entire bandwidth on the segment. The reason for the lower upside
bandwidth was the way M1 uses the broadband cable, in that there are fewer
reverse channels. My information comes from presentations by M1X management
at the Boston ISIG and New Hampshire ISIG. I think the PC statement is
probably not as true today than it was a couple of years ago. IMHO, and
$39.95/Mo. (which includes the cable modem), it is still the best service
available on a price/performance basis.
It would be nice to see some people actually start using DSL services. Where
DSL is a guaranteed bandwidth to the provider, cable modem is shared over an
effective LAN. I have yet to experience any slow downs that I could
attribute to traffic within M1Xs network. And in both cases, once you get up
to the provider's sites, you are in a shared bandwidth. M1X limits the
number of cable modem subscribers on a segment. I was told that if that
number is exceeded, they will split the segment.

--
Jerry Feldman (HP On-Site Consultant) http://gbrweb.msd.ray.com/~gzf/