Problem with linux

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, Brad Noyes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with my linux box. I'm using kernel 2.2.11 with RH 6. I'll
> say it out right, I'm not sure what the cause was, and I don't know the
> first step to fixing this (I did try the recuse image but not luck). The
> Problem is; when i start my computer everything seems to be fine. After a
> few minutes of running linux, it will either hang, or, if i'm in X, crash X.
> If i'm still able to shutdown manually, i will shut down and reboot. When i
> reboot i get a message similar to this one (this particular message came
> from when i logged in as root after X crashed)
>
> Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address e02272cc

This suggests that you've run out of swap space, so you might be able to
fix it by adding more swap or RAM... but the fact that it didn't happen
before suggests that

1) it could be related to the 2.2.11 kernel memory leak, or
2) you've got a bad DIMM that coincidentally went bad at the same time
you upgraded.

I vote for #1... try downgrading.  Or you may want to watch swap and
memory usage using top or xsysinfo or something, and see if you're running
tight.

--
Derek D. Martin   |  UNIX System Administrator
derek at netria.com  |  dmartin at lancity.com

-