Linux for Alpha Server 2000 4/200

> Does anyone know where I can get Linux for Alpha?  I have an Alpha Server
2000
> 4/200 system.
>
> When I went to MicroCenter, the only think I found for Alpha was FreeBSD.
> However, when I try to install it, I get a message saying that the current
> version of Linux does not support the Alpha machine I have.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've been using Redhat for alpha for some time with great success, though I
have heard stories that it will not work on certain types of alpha servers.
I know debian also makes an alpha distribution that is supposedly more
portable to the different alpha servers (though my preference still lies
with redhat).  If you want to grab a CD, the best ways would probably be to
head for www.cheapbytes.com or to search the net for a .iso image of the
install CD(s) and burn a copy for yourself.  You could also buy the official
distros with manuals and an overly expensive price (esp. for redhat) if you
so choose.  I run FreeBSD on more of my machines than I do linux, but I've
found their alpha version to be less than spectacular in general.

Brian Conway
dogbert at clue4all.net

P.S. FreeBSD isn't Linux =)

-