how to set up my home Linux server as a mail server?

Brian,

Trying to install qpopper on Red Hat 6.0
./configure went successfully and built a Makefile file.  However:
I type
make
and get
bash: make: command not found
I type ./make and get "no such file or directory."
I installed the C compilers and such special so I could do this, as I hadn't
installed them originally, but make isn't a command.  I type "ma" and then
hit tab and see possible ma commands and make isn't one of them.  there is
makedb, makedepend, makeg makeindex makemap makempx, makewhatis
make_printerdef and make_smbcodepage

Perhaps I still don't have the C language completely installed?  cc is a
possible command though.  So is gcc.  I have gcc version egcs-2.91.66

I wish there was just a pop mail rpm.  I guess I am one of those sub-Linux
people, already dependent on the Install shield like convenience of rpms.
But making Linux accessible to us non-programmers is necessary to the
destruction of M$.

Anyway, thanks much for your help.  I eagerly await any input you may have.
Should I be addressing this to discuss at blu.org?  I'll cc it.

Thanks.

Rob Freeman