X-Server refuses connection

On Sun, 5 Sep 1999, Bill Horne wrote:

> I'm trying to log onto an X-Windows application, but it
> fails after I export the display and start the
> application, saying the X-Server refused the
> connection.  Please tell me how to change Xfree86 so
> that it accepts any connection request.

There are a couple of ways... the easiest (and least secure) is to open
your display up to all X clients by doing something like:

  xhost +    #allow ALL clients from ALL hosts to connect
  xhost +hostname  # allow all clients from only hostname to connect

There's also this mechanism called Xauth cookies that I've never taken the
time to figure out, but it is much more secure.

--
Derek D. Martin   |  UNIX System Administrator
derek at netria.com  |  dmartin at lancity.com

-