Installing POP servers on linux?

Derek D. Martin writes:
	On Sat, 4 Sep 1999, John Chambers wrote:

	> So, just for the fun of it, I decided to ftp to  the  site  and  tell
	> ftpd that I was the POP-only user.  It worked just fine. And I wasn't
	> in with any sort of restricted, anonymous permissions.  I could cd to
	> /etc without problem, and could get a copy of any of the files there.
	>
	> Now, a logged-in user can do the same thing, of course,  though  it's
	> not quite as easy. But as I said, I'd gotten the impression that this
	> was being set up as an email-only account.  Not hardly.

	This should not work!  The ftp daemon is not supposed to allow login from
	users unless their default shell is in /etc/shells (which /bin/false
	should NOT be!) or I think it will allow /bin/sh and /bin/csh if
	/etc/shells does not exist or is empty.

	Check /etc/shells and see if /bin/false is in there...  if it isn't, I
	have no idea why you could get in.  Maybe the ftpd that whips with RH 6 is
	broken?

Could be.  I checked /etc/shells, and the 6  entries  there  are  the
usual  suspects, not including /bin/false.  I checked "man ftpd", and
sure enough, it says that a user "must have a standard shell returned
by  getusershell(3)."  Maybe I'll do a bit more testing with assorted
logins, and see if I can learn more.

-