RCN headache, on day 1

	Actually, I just looked at one of my friend's cable modems and his
hostname is based on his ip address, so it might be in the process of
being changed over.  I've sent email to my contact at RCN who is going to
find something definitive out for me.

On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 07:42:07PM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> The hostname is based upon the Cable Modem Serial Number, not the IP
> Address.  For example, my hostname is:
>
> Official name:  r85aap013821.sbo-smr.ma.cable.rcn.com
> Host address:   209.6.194.93
>
> Looking at my Cable Modem, it is serial number 85aap013821 -- printed
> right on the back of the modem.
> >
> > Based on what I've seen and what the tech told me, the Hostname is based
> > on IP Address and not serial number of the modem.  I found www.tzo.com
> > who for $25 a year, has some software, that can do the dynamic addressing
> > for me.  Basically, they have a login script, (easy to run from
> > dhclient-exit-hooks) and a logout script (easy to add to rc.d/rc.6).
> > I figure with the money I'm saving a month, $25 a year is not a big deal
> > to have to pay another company for this simple service that M1X did for
> > you.  I just wanted to make sure everyone knew what they were getting into
> > if they were talking about getting RCN.

-Seth
--
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion"
-