Strange video effect since loading Mandrake 6.0

Hi,

	I've got a weird video effect going on with my linux box.
A few months ago I upgraded to Mandrake 6.0.  Upon entering X-Windows
for the first time, the left side of the screen has a weird scrolling
effect.  Basically the left most 10 pixels or so kind of waver downwards
with a sawtooth-like edge that moves down.  It does this in both the
KDE and GNOME environments, so I don't think they're to blame.  The
funky part is that the mouse cursor doesn't get distorted in this
region, but everything else that's a window does.  For example, that
'K' on the taskbar is reflected in the wavering section, but the mouse
cursor goes over the wavering part with no reflection).  When X boots
and it has those black/white line patterns I've tried to see if this
wavers, but it's hard considering the small pixel size, and that there's
not too much to compare the wavering with non-wavering parts of the
screen with.
       Before Mandrake 6.0, I ran RedHat 5.2, which for some reason
never installed the SVGA file I needed to run SVGA, but I never noticed this
wavering problem.  Before that I ran win95, which had good SVGA output, so
the card/monitor isn't to blame.
	I can only assume some X setting isn't set right, but I don't
know where to look to tweak settings.  On the install I said I had
SVGA ( i forget if it asked me for specific resolution, i probably
either said 800x600 or 1024x800).  Can anybody offer explanation and/or
tips to cure the problem?  It wasn't a big deal, which is why I haven't
adressed it yet, but now it's starting to get annoying as I'm trying
to fully tweak up my box.

	Thanks alot,

	- wass
-