RH 6.0 / Modem Problem

I'm trying to install RH6.0 for the first time and have been using linxconf to configure the modem.  When I check /var/log/messages, and 5 seconds after "Serial connection established" I get the following:

localhost modprobe can't locate module: ppp-compress-21
localhost modprobe can't locate module: ppp-compress-26
localhost modprobe can't locate module: ppp-compress-24

Has anybody seen this error before?  The modem gives the appearance of being connected to the ISP but when I start up Netscape and try to download an external webpage, it reports that the page is not accessible.  This is an Askey Modem which the dealership thinks is safe for Linux.

Thanks,
John Stark