Colors in Mutt

I have ncurses installed on my system and have the following colors
in my ~/.muttrc

color header      magenta  default  "^date: *"
color header      yellow   default  "^from: *"
color header      green    default  "^subject: *"
color header      cyan     default  "^to: *"
color header      cyan     default  "^delivered-to: *"
color header      cyan     default  "^cc: *"
color header      cyan     default  "^bcc: *"
color header      yellow   default  "^reply-to: *"

Each time I start mutt, I get the following errors.

Error in /home/subb3/.muttrc, line 65: default: no such color
Error in /home/subb3/.muttrc, line 66: default: no such color
Error in /home/subb3/.muttrc, line 67: default: no such color
Error in /home/subb3/.muttrc, line 68: default: no such color
Error in /home/subb3/.muttrc, line 69: default: no such color
Error in /home/subb3/.muttrc, line 70: default: no such color
Error in /home/subb3/.muttrc, line 71: default: no such color
Error in /home/subb3/.muttrc, line 72: default: no such color
source: errors in /home/subb3/.muttrc

The output of the command "mutt -v" gives the following info.

(0)subb3 at caesar:~$ mutt -v
Mutt 1.0us (1999-10-22)
Copyright (C) 1996-9 Michael R. Elkins and others.
Mutt comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `mutt -vv'.
Mutt is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `mutt -vv' for details.

System: Linux 2.2.13 [using ncurses 1.9.9g]
Compile options:
-DOMAIN
-HOMESPOOL  -USE_SETGID  +USE_DOTLOCK  +USE_FCNTL  -USE_FLOCK
-USE_IMAP  -USE_POP  +HAVE_REGCOMP  -USE_GNU_REGEX  +HAVE_COLOR
-BUFFY_SIZE
-EXACT_ADDRESS  +ENABLE_NLS
SENDMAIL="/usr/sbin/sendmail"
MAILPATH="/var/spool/mail"
SHAREDIR="/usr/local/lib/mutt"
SYSCONFDIR="/usr/local/etc"
ISPELL="/usr/bin/ispell"
To contact the developers, please mail to <mutt-dev at mutt.org>.

I see only the standard colors(foreground and background) of the xterm.
None of the colors in ~/.muttrc take effect. The xterm is a color-xterm.

>From the above information, can someone please tell me, where am I loosing
the colors?

Thank you in advance.

Subba Rao