upgrading 486s BIOS

The hard drive settings (num of cylinders, num of heads, num of sectors)
that the BIOS figures out are not necessarily used by linux.  You should be
able to stay with a working motherboard BIOS and just pass boot line append
statements.  I did this on an older motherboard that would not recognize a
17GB hd and it still doesn't recognize all of it.  But I tell linux to
ignore what the BIOS tells it by passing this in a LILO prompt append:

hdb="33483,16,63"

suddenly I now have use of the whole drive :)

so when you know the cylinders, heads, and sectors (which of course is with
the hard drive docs), then you can pass linux options through LILO or at the
LILO prompt.

the relevant parts of my lilo.conf look like this:

image=/boot/bsImage-2.2.13-1
	label=2.2.13-1
	append="hdb=33483,16,63 ether=11,0x7c00,eth1 ether=9,0x7f80,eth0"
	root=/dev/hda7
	read-only
image...etc...etc...

you should be able to pass the options for hda as well (I think) as long as
/boot is readable before linux takes over and tells the BIOS to mind it's
own business.

hopefully that helps somewhat or at least gives you some new options to try.

-tim

ps - now that I read your post again...perhaps enabling the "boot off-board
controllers first" (it's something like that) in the kernel configuration
may tell linux to try to go through the non motherboard BIOS to get the hard
drive info - this might be a wild goose chase though (or a tame one :)