Multiple ethernets on one cable modem

Chuck Young wrote:

> Exactly.  *If* there is a multi-MAC system, single-MAC folks would
> apparently need to order it and have it configured by M1X or something.
> You can't just plug stuff in and {BAM} have multiple routable IP addresses
> at home.
There are 3 scenarios:

1. 1 cable modem<---->|firewall/gateway/proxy/|<---HUB--->| other systems.
   This way your bandwidth on M1X is 1.5Mbps/300Kbps. You get one IP
address, one
   email address. (note that since the ip address and host name are DNS
served,
   you can have many email addresses:<user>@<hostname>.ne.mediaone.net.

2. 1 cable modem<---->hub| 2 or 3 systems
   Not sure what the bandwidth would be here since the cable modem is
capable
   of 10Mbps. Does M1X provide added bandwidth for the additional $14.95/Mo.
   Niall, does this include an email address per additional system?

3. 2 Cable modems. Each has 1.5Mbps/300Kbps. So, in my case, my wife has her
   bandwidth. Because of the way I have things setup, all of her Internet
traffic
   goes to her cable modem.

My preference is on number 1. The only issue I have with Mediaone is that if
I cancel my wife's cable modem, can I keep her Mediaone email address. Also,
she had used her allotment of personal page hits, and put some stuff on my
personal pages. M1X gives you space on their server for a web site, but
limits quota based on number of bytes stored and number of bytes transferred
per month. If you exceed that then your personal pages are frozen to the end
of the month. But, you can put web stuff on your own system inside the cable
modem, and serve it with Apache or some other server, as many M1X users do.
That comes out of the 300Kbps upload bandwidth.
--
Jerry Feldman (HP On-Site Consultant) http://gbrweb.msd.ray.com/~gzf/